Wednesday, March 21, 2007

Hurry up and wait

Crazy world.

Hurry up. Wait. Hurry up. Wait. Hurry up. Wait. The writing world is so crazy. I feel like I've been hurrying up and waiting about half of my life. My mother used to say, "Don't wish your life away," and now that I'm older, I'm sure she knew what she was talking about. But sometimes -- just once maybe -- I wish that the hurry up part would get here and stick around for a while.

What I mean is this. We all have goals, shoot for the moon, have dreams and desires and want to achieve them. Getting there is half the battle and half the fun, right? No good thing comes easy, right? Or so they say. Have to work for what you want. Sure, I believe in all of that.

Well, I've been working. Hard. Steadily. Hurrying up and getting my work submitted. Waiting. It's the down time that's difficult. The waiting. But I guess I just need to keep working away and getting ready for the next hurry-up session and waiting some more.

Perhaps that is the key. Once your hurry up and do, they you can't rest on your laurels for one second. You can't wait for long. You have to be ready for the next go-round of hurry-up-and-wait.

The other evening, in a flurry, my sisterwriters and I got some publishing news. An editor we'd been targeting was buying in a flurry. Ack! What did we have that would work for her? What to send? Was that synopsis polished enough? Will she look at a partial? What to do? What to do?

We hurried up. We got things ready. We polished. We submitted. We wait.

The ever present wait.

But can't rest on our laurels. Keep moving forward. 2 pages a day. Or more. Make the goal. Get the current w.i.p. finished.

It is a crazy hurry-up-and-wait world. In writing. In just about anything, I suppose. I guess setting the goals along with all that is important. And I suppose I wouldn't have it any other way.

maddie

Watch for Means of Escape, Coming in July 2007

Triskelion Publishing

Maddie James Official Website

Post a Comment