Thursday, March 29, 2007

Life goes on...

There is something to be said for reaching that point in life where your children are finally settled into their own lives, and you, are heading full-blown into a different chapter in your own.

My children, one boy and one girl, are in their early twenties. My daughter -- headstrong, opinionated, but caring and compassionate at the same time, giving and loving, and probably at times too darned fly-by-the-seat-of-her-pants. Hmmm...wonder where she gets that from? My son -- practical, methodical, goal-oriented, one-step-at-a-time kind of kid. Both flew the nest early, right after high school. My daughter played the revolving door game for a while...live on her own, come back...live on her own, come back...live on her own. But now, it appears, they are both settled.

My son and his girlfriend bought a house last month. A quite cute house and oh, are they just in seventh Heaven. They've painted and hung pictures and bought curtains and even a big-screen TV. I keep warning them about watching their dollars (that's my job, right?) but they assure me they are fine. Their little family home is complete, the two of them, and Lucy and Patrick, my grand dogs.

The revolving daughter, too, is getting a new home. Her life has been a bit tumultuous the past year, leaving a husband while pregnant with 2 kids in tow. It was her choice, things weren't good, and to be honest, I would have left, too. But there is something there between these two kids who have known each other since they were 18. With as much turmoil in their lives, they've stuck it out, are back together, and today, when asked if she was happy said emphatically, "Yes."

I know the house they are moving to. It is two doors down from the house my children grew up in when I was married to their father. It is on family land. It is home. And for a long time, ever since her father and I divorced when she was 14, I've felt she has been seeking home.

I sincerely hope she has found it, and that she and her husband, their three children, too, will find peace and love and security in their new home. The vibes are good that I'm getting. And for the first time in a long time, I feel at peace for them.

Blessings come in many forms and often unexpectedly. My daughter and her husband had been looking for a house for a few months. This one landed in their lap and within an hour, it was theirs.

"It was time," my daughter told me today. "I kept wondering why it wasn't happening. Now I know I just had to wait."

Yes, it's time. Time for them to make their way in the world. Fly, little birds. And time for me to look to my future, too.

maddie
Post a Comment