Friday, May 11, 2007


Romantic Times

It has been a while since I've picked up a copy of Romantic Times, the popular review mag for romance novels. In fact, it has been so long, I'd totally forgotten how essential it is to keeping up with the market. Not to mention the fact that there are all of those reviews.

I walked down to my local Borders today on my lunch hour and picked up a copy. Another woman was there perusing the periodicals, too. She was leaning over her walker and just looking. I spied the RT, sent up a little prayer that yes, there were 3 copies left, and stood back to leaf through it. I was eager, you see, to find the ad that I had placed there with four other authors. My first ad in RT ever! And my first to appear anywhere in quite a while.

It was a golden moment.

But then the lady with the walker leaned closer. "So that's where those are." She was struggling leaning over to get the mag.

So, I handed her mine. "This what you are looking for?" She said a quick thanks, and then I added, "Do you read a lot of romance novels?" Not hearing me, I suspect, she didn't answer and moved on. Darn. I wanted to show her my ad. Oh well.

I proceeded to the checkout counter. The guy at the register, older and graying, rang up the sale, looked down at the mag, and chuckled right out loud. I couldn't help it. I asked, "What's so funny?"

And he replied, "What is this? I've never seen it before."

Well, silly man, I wanted to reply, what the heck do you think it is? It has hunky guys on the cover, along with references to books and authors, etc. "It's a review magazine for romance novels. I'm a romance novelist and see," I whip open the mag, "I have an ad in here this time."

"Oh! he replies. "I had no clue we even carried that! Where did you find it?"

Where would you think? I wanted to say. Your name badge does say assistant manager, where do you think the periodicals would be located? But I was not rude. "In the periodicals," I replied sweetly.

"Those romance readers, they sure know what they want, and know right where to get it when they come in here." Good observation.

"You bet." And I bet he pays a little more attention to RT the next time, too. I left and he promised to check out the mag. I may have to go back and check in on him. Perhaps next month when my actual review is in the mag.

A little pic of my ad is attached. So hard to see here I'm sure. But you can always see it in the real thing. If you have your own copy of the June RT, it's on page 52. Go check it out!

maddie
Post a Comment