Saturday, June 09, 2007

A Six Hot-Air Balloon Night.

I just don't know what it is about hot air balloons but they simply fascinate me. One of the perks of living where I do is that we are smack in the middle of the local hot air balloon club's flight path. Or, at least it appears that way to me. And I love it.

It's just a great surprise to walk out my door and hear that overhead whoooosh of air surging upward into the balloon. It's almost like a silent whoosh. Difficult to describe. Quiet yet powerful at the same time. And you hear it before you see the balloons, usually. Before I got used to them, I was nearly scared out of my wits one evening while working in the yard. I heard the whoosh, looked up, and there it was in all its glory, practically sitting on my roof. A huge hot-air balloon.

Tonight during my walk six balloons whooshed and drifted by overhead. There was a slight breeze and a clear robin's egg blue sky behind them, perfectly framing those colorful orbs.

Makes one just want to take a deep breath and sigh. I love watching them drift away. I still get images of The Wizard uncontrollably drifting away from Oz leaving Dorothy. Must be something about the unknown and running away. I don't know. But each time I see them I run away a little by myself. If only in my mind.

maddie
Post a Comment