Tuesday, July 17, 2007

Exhausted!

Have you ever heard that old adage that you come back from vacation more tired than when you left? Well, it's also true for Romance Writer Conferences! Monday mornings are always a challenge, aren't they? But this particular Monday morning seemed to last all day long. I even took a two hour nap in the evening I was so tired.

Tired but inspired. I took so many different things away from RWA national this year. Small tidbits from editors and agents, a ton of great information from booksellers, a couple of yes nods from an agent and an editor pitch to send in material, and content info from some workshops. I also brought back some new friendships and renewed friendships. Those are very important to me because the camaraderie of writers leads to so much more. But the real thing I brought back (besides a suitcase full of dirty laundry and an extra bag full of books) was inspiration. And this comes from those writer friendships as well as just experiencing the "feel" of the conference.

I came away with a feeling of where I want to be in a year, two years, five years with my writing. Last year in Atlanta I'd set a five year goal, and developed a five year plan, for my writing career. I took a few moments to assess all that I'd accomplished in that past year to move me forward toward that goal. I think I've done things right and done them fairly well. I've worked hard and this year, because of a number of contracts, will be working even harder. Here is where the inspiration part comes in. Being inspired to work harder makes things a lot easier. So, I'll try to capture and keep that RWA feel as I move through this next year.

I think it's time to revisit the plan and the goals, which probably should be an annual "after conference" event for me. It's nice to check the goals off the list. Perhaps I'll pull those out and report on those next.

For those of you who were also inspired at conference, use it! For those of you who may have stayed home this year, don't fret, just connect with writers in other ways. The inspiration is contagious!

Happy Tuesday.

maddie
Post a Comment