Friday, August 17, 2007


Featured Author Interview with Jan Scarbrough!

Hi folks. As you all know, each month I do some kind of feature with a fellow author on my blog. This month I'm featuring KYRW member and my sisterwriter, Jan Scarbrough. Here is a little bit about Jan and her books!

MJ - Tell us a little about yourself.

JS - My name is Jan Scarbrough and I live in Louisville, Kentucky. I was born in Oak Ridge, Tennessee, but have been a Kentucky resident since college. I’m married. I have two children and two stepchildren, all grown. I have three grandchildren, with one baby boy on the way.

I’ve been a professional writer since 1982 – no, not a romance writer, but a technical writer! I started writing romance in 1988 after spending four days in intensive care and almost dying. After that, I figured it was about time to make my dreams come true.

Besides enjoying all my writing “buddies” and my sisterwriters, I enjoy riding American Saddlebred horses. I’ve owned three over the years, but now to get my “horse fix” I take a riding lesson once a week. I also volunteer at The Luci Center, a therapeutic riding center.

MJ - You’ve recently signed with a new publisher. Can you tell us about that?

JS - Maddie, you played a part in this, just as you played a part in my first sale to Precious Gems in 1998! You made the first contact with Resplendence Publishing. When our critique group decided to create Legend, Tennessee, and populate it with fictional characters and romance, you urged us to consider Resplendence when we were ready to submit. We spent the month of May writing our stories, and soon after we finished them, you submitted the Ladies of Legend Anthology for us. We were thrilled when Resplendence contracted with us for the book, which comes out January 2008.

After that, I queried with my manuscript, A Man of Her Own, and it follows the anthology in February 2008.

MJ - You have several upcoming releases. Is there a favorite among them? Why?

JS - I like The Reunion Game because I loosely based it on memories of my own high school reunion. I always put myself into my books in some way. I’ve been an English teacher, like this heroine, and I love books and cats, just as she does. In A Man of Her Own, I set it in Kentucky during the festivities before the running of the Kentucky Derby. This is the best time of year in Louisville. I was also able to include some scenes with horses, which I love to do.

MJ - What are your dreams as a writer?

JS - I want to write a book good enough so that an editor from Harlequin or Silhouette will make me an offer for it. I want to write the best book I can write, putting in it all the right elements that will make readers love reading it and wanting more of my books. As a reader, I’ve loved losing myself in a thick book. I want to be able to give that kind of pleasure to my readers.

MJ - What advice do you have for other aspiring writers?

JS - In 2001, Steeple Hill author Renee Ryan and I gave a workshop at RWA in New Orleans about “Perspective, Passion & Persistence: The Three P’s of Success.” That’s what it’s about. This business is hard and you must be ready for rejection. But if you give up, you’ll never achieve your goals. I’d add one more “P” to the three above – Patience. There’s a lot of “hurry up and wait” as a romance writer.

Thanks, Jan! I enjoyed reading your responses to my questions. Best of luck and I'm sure we are all going to be seeing more of you soon! Be sure and visit Jan at

Jan Scarbrough



Maddie
Post a Comment