Thursday, October 11, 2007

Changing Seasons

I've always loved Fall. Leaves falling. Crisp days. Blue skies. Muted reds and oranges and yellows and browns. Sweaters.

Change. It's all about change.

I never really signified fall with the approaching end of something although I can easily see how one could think that. Leaves dying. Bleak cold days of winter approaching. Dark, dorment days. No, I never thought about it like that. To me, fall symbolized another start. A new season.

School always started in fall and since I've spent most of my life in education, that is probably one reason for the way I feel. But lately, that has nothing to do with feelings of change.

Change. Seasons of our lives. I think I am fast moving into the fall season of my life. And it isn't sad, it's kind of exciting. Even though my colors are fading (yes, the hair is a little grayer) and gravity has wreaked havoc on my body, my spirit is crisp and blue as a fall sky. I'm still shining bright as I move one more year into a new decade--the one in which I plan to make some determined and positive changes in my personal and professional life.

Life is about change. Writing is about change. And writing is the central focus in the changes I plan for myself in this current decade. Writing has long been a part of my life but has often been put on hold, slid to the backburner, over the previous two decades. Now, in this fall season of my life, it is a priority. It's been that way since I turned 50 almost one year ago. And as I look back over the past year, I can see so clearly in my mind's eye all the things I have done, and accomplished, to move my writing forward.

I'm thankful that I have the energy and the time in my life to move this dream, this goal, forward. And I'm grateful for another birthday coming up this weekend to celebrate all I've accomplished.

maddie
Post a Comment