Wednesday, January 16, 2008

Edit-orial

I did it. Just now. I finished my edits on THE CULT and sent them back to my editor. With any luck, this will be the last pass through before she approves and sends it off to the copy editor.

Whew...

CULT is my fourth project since the fall, and I really feel like I'm finally getting in the swing of things with editing electronically. My previous books were all done the "old-fashioned" way, you know, hard copy all the way. Now, I say old-fashioned but really, it could still be done that way in many large houses. I don't know. Now that I'm with a smaller press that publishes both ebooks and print, and one that is totally into the green thing, we do so much electronically.

I think it is great. Truly, I do. It has just taken this old dog a while to learn new tricks. (Yes, I'm old. Very old. Ancient. The picture is an illusion.)

Honestly, I do think I possess a pretty good technological brain, but there are so many tricks to the trade to learn, that I'm pretty sure you could tuck my tech knowledge into a thimble. I learn something new every day, it seems. And I'm a lifelong learner, so why not?

So back to edits. We use this track/changes thing, you see? Horrible, nasty thing. Red marks all over the page. Am I supposed to read that? And get it? What, I have to accept or reject? Why, I'm getting carpal tunnel with my wrist hovering over the mouse for hours. What gives? And what about those boxes at the side. I mean, WHAT DO I DO WITH THEM????

All right, it's not that bad. I'm exaggerating, of course. (Ahem.) After four projects, I'm learning. And my editors just grin and bare it with me. I know they grit their teeth a lot. Oh yeah, Maddie's still learning that.... They are very patient but that is because they are young. (I'm old, you know.)

So, thank goodness that old writers have new editors in this day and age of technology. Their twenty-something pre-pre-menopausal brains ought to be wired just right to help this old woman limp along.

But I'm learning. Really. I am!

So, editing. I've been thinking. I've been pretty much a blog lizard lately, so it's time to get a little theme going on here. I think I'll be blogging a bit about editing, the editorial process, tricks of the trade, etc. I'd love to hear from you. What do you like, or not like, about the editorial process? What tricks have you learned? What bugs you? What makes it easier for you? (I really need this info, guys, I'm serious...)

Anyhoo, talk edit to me, okay?

maddie
Post a Comment