Thursday, January 17, 2008

Featured Author ~ Janet Eaves

Evening, all. I know, I promised more edit-orials on edits, right? But I’ll save that for tomorrow and today share an interview with one of my sisterwriters, Janet Eaves. Now, I’ve known this lady for nearly twenty years, I’d say, and one of the first conversations we had the evening we met was – you write romance novels, too? It was like, big fat Karma with a Kapital K slapping us both in the face, and from that point on, we’ve been like the bestest of writing buddies, and even more, the bestest of friends. So, let’s hear from Janet.

Maddie: Hi, Janet. Tell us a little about yourself.

Janet: I am a Jack of All Trades these days: wife of 28 years, mother of two daughters, grandmother to the most incredibly beautiful child in the world (of course). I write fiction, both collaborating with my SisterWriters, Maddie James, Magdalena Scott, and Jan Scarbrough in the Ladies of Legend Series, and independently. I run my husband’s business from our home office, work for H&R Block during tax season (after weeks of recertification classes each summer), am building another web-based business, and am in the process of redecorating several rooms in our home.

Maddie: Wow, you are busy, woman! But let’s talk about your books. You have a new book out. We’d love to hear about it.

Janet: Claiming the Legend is the first of four novellas in the Ladies of Legend: Finding Home anthology. It introduces our readers to the town of Legend, Tennessee, and some of the people who reside there. The story opens with Lilly Peach running for her life, needing a place to hide. She thinks she has found obscurity in Legend. When the Legend of Legend, the popular local high school football coach, takes an interest in her she is thrust into the local spotlight. Unfortunately for her, his ultra-successful football program has garnered national attention as well.

Maddie: I have to say I’m biased, but I love that story. Of course, I love everything you write. You’ve recently signed with a new publisher. Can you tell us about that?

Janet: It is a phenomenal feeling. I am so excited to be a part of Resplendence Publishing’s family of authors. They are warm and welcoming and making this more fun than it should be.

Maddie: You also have upcoming releases. Is there a favorite among them? Why?

Janet: I just signed a contract for 2 more Legend series books. The one I am writing now is my current favorite. I hope that holds true for each upcoming book.

Maddie: Favorites are so hard for me to pick. Like you, I love my current project. So tell me, what do you love about your editor (or publisher)?

Janet: RP was smart to place me with an editor that has helped me to look at my writing with new eyes.

Maddie: What about your writing day. What does your schedule look like? Are you a morning writer? A night owl?

Janet: My writing schedule, like my life, is anytime I can, I do.

Maddie: Fair enough, with all of those hats you wear. What advice do you have for aspiring writers?

Janet: Dream. Write. Get great critique partner(s). And have the guts to put yourself out there to be criticized.

Maddie: Yeah, it does take guts, doesn’t it? I mean, what if someone tells you your baby is ugly? Then what? So, what about your next project?

Janet: I’m working on the novella called Beauty and the Beast which is another Legend story.

Maddie: Today, writers need not only write great books, but be great promoters of their books, too. What kinds of things do you do?

Janet: I have to confess I am lazy about this. I have so little time left for more than I am forced to do.

Maddie: I hear you. Promotion is time-consuming, isn’t it? Just a couple of more questions. If you could interview any of the characters in your books, which one would it be, and why? What shocking thing might that character say?

Janet: My characters all have a habit of shocking me. That is why I like (and write) them.

Maddie: Okay, now, here is the totally off-writing subject question. What’s the coolest, wackiest, most risk-taking thing you’ve ever done?

Janet: Wow…. Hmmmm. Nope – not sharing!

Maddie: All right. Here is your last chance. What else would you like to tell us?

Janet: I have many passions. Writing is at the top (or at least shares the top). If anyone reading this also has a personal passion, whether it is writing or something else, do it. Just do it. And enjoy. I hope our readers with check out the Ladies of Legend: Finding Home anthology… I’m sure they’ll want to return to Legend again and again. Maybe even move in next door!

Janet, thank you so much for allowing me to interview. What a pleasure. Now, we wait patiently for Ladies of Legend: Finding Home to be released on January 22! You can find it at Resplendence Publishing

maddie
Post a Comment