Wednesday, February 20, 2008

What time is it, anyway?

My body thinks it's 4:10 a.m. And my computer tells me that that is the time, too. The clock radio beside of my hotel bed, however, its bright red numbers staring at me, say it is 2:10 a.m. Ah, that's right. My body is in Mountain Time and my brain thinks it's still in Eastern.

Even so, 4:10 a.m. is a tad bit earlier than I normally get up. I have no plans to stay up all day long at this point. I'll slide back to bed as soon as my eyes get heavy enough and I can't see the screen on my laptop through the haze.

Hazards of the day job. I travel, you see. This week my internal clock appears to be having difficulty keeping up with exactly where my body is. Sporadic sleep schedules, delayed flights, long drives to destinations, longer days--all a recipe for out-of-whack body rhythms and sleep patterns.

All of which lead to the lack of writing the past few days. My brain is dead at the end of the day. I actually feel very proud to be contributing to my blog at the moment, here at 4:17 a.m....er, 2:17 a.m.

One of my coworkers commented at dinner this evening about how difficult it is to be "on" throughout the entire day and then come back to the hotel room to write. She was talking about writing work reports, etc. I thought, "Yeah, and then try to write a few paras of fiction at the end of that day, too." It's hard. But, I muddle through.

A deadline approaches. I'm a deadline driven gal. Hate to miss them. Work frantically not to. Have learned to find the best times to write while on the road. Have learned to be satisfied with shorter writing stints. Have learned to prioritize the weekends so that longer stints are available. Laying down fresh words on a page is sometimes easier on the weekend, editing and revising those words sometimes comes easier during the week when I'm tired. I've learned to adapt.

I will not, however, turn to editing or laying down fresh words this morning at 4:22, um 2:22 a.m. because the fingers are now getting a bit dyslexic and the eyes are slightly crossing and the nagging headache from sporadic sleep is settling in again.

I have 2 hours and 36 more minutes...wait...4 hours and 36 minutes until the alarm goes off and the day starts again. Ah, Mountain time. Gotta love it.

Night all, er, morning... whatever (yawn)

madz
Post a Comment