Monday, March 24, 2008

On the subject of blogging...

I posed a question yesterday to many of my author friends. The question was, "What are your 'must read' blogs?" I had a few reasons for asking--I wanted to know if I was missing anything good out there, for one. For another, I'd been wondering about how different people approach their blogs. And then again, I wanted to find some good ones to add to my 'feeds' for my MyYahoo page.

You see, one of my author friends has this method of promo she uses--she trips through other people's blogs and makes comments along the way, hoping to spread her word (and name) throughout blog land. Good marketing, I thought, perhaps I should do that more.

I do have a few blogs I visit and comment on once in a while but probably not nearly enough. And anything I've read about using a blog wisely says that if you expect people to come to your blog, you have to go to theirs, too. So, what my author friend is doing makes sense to me. The big reason why I wanted to know what blogs others frequented. I sorta wanna get in on the action, too.

So, I tripped through a few dozen blogs this afternoon. My one conclusion was this--my blog is damned boring. Boring! I'm gonna have to do something about that. No one wants to come visit a boring blog now, do they? Horrors...

However, with my question tossed out to my author friends, I found out there are two pretty distinct camps of blogdom. One camp revels in blogging and even touts blog addiction. They live to blog and comment and love, love, love to be out there. The other camp said things like, not for me, I don't like them, don't read then, don't do them, they suck away writing time, and I can't make a recommendation.

I wonder, and I'll post the question here again. What are your 'must read' blogs? What do you think about blogs in general? Like them? Hate them? Use them? Avoid them like the plague? Okay, well, if you hate them and avoid them like the plague, you are likely not to even see this blog post, eh? Well, we'll see.

Still, just curious. I wanna know. Are blogs dead? Are they living, breathing creatures that will not go away? What do you think?

And the big question--are they time-suckers that are simply not worth your precious time?

Oh, big loaded questions to be sure but what the heck, let's just see what happens.

Will be checking back in here later....
Post a Comment