Sunday, May 18, 2008

Beautiful Day

What a wonderful day. I'm taking a break from the normal writing hoo-ha to just say, wow, what a beautiful day. It was one of those days that I wanted to just go on forever. It was the kind of day that I think retirement will be like. Well, how I picture it anyway.

First, I opened up all the windows. Any day when I can open the windows and air out the house is a good day in my book. A stiff breeze blew all day and fluttered the curtains. The sun shone bright, the sky was robin's egg blue, and white fluffy clouds drifted by all afternoon. The temperature was perfect, slightly above 70 degrees F. I started the morning writing but soon found I couldn't say inside any longer.

My day was filled with yardwork, planting flowers, transplanting hostas, starting my herb garden, potting a tomato plant, mowing and trimming the yard. I had lunch and dinner on the patio and later, even when it was almost too chilly, I sat outside and wrote another scene on the current wip, laptop on my knees.

I. Did. Not. Want. To. Go. Inside.

I think I know why. Life has been so hectic lately and today, the first day in quite a while, I was able to do just relax and do what I wanted, to rest my brain. I love to get dirt under my fingernails and put some color in my yard. I don't know why but I just like to see things grow! Perhaps because I come from a long line of farmers. Perhaps. But the bottom line -- it was simply a beautiful day to be outside. I even kept the windows down in my car when I made a quick trip to Walmart -- and that is something that I rarely do!

My allergies will probably suffer a bit but who cares? And the house, well, not a lot got done inside. Tomorrow, however, there is a promise of rain. I can do the laundry and vacuum then. For today, I played in the dirt and had a damn good time.

I'll leave you with a picture of a beautiful peony that lives in my back yard.


maddie
Post a Comment