Monday, May 05, 2008

I've been letting the chatter quiet down...

It is interesting what turns of phrase or sayings call out and stay with you. You can find them almost anywhere and for whatever reason, significance can be found in the words. Maybe that is why I am a writer. Words mean something to me. They can be boring, exciting, indifferent, moody, whatever...depends on how I spin them and perhaps also, how I (or anyone) interprets them.

Thus so, a framed picture I picked up a Target several years ago that now hangs in my hall bathroom. I've held onto it because the words under the picture speak to me. Oh, they don't shout out at me on a regular basis but at times, they've wormed their way into my being. So, I've kept them and placed them where I occasionally see them. It's odd, but when I need to see them, that's usually when they make themselves known to me again.

It was the picture, however, that first caught my eye first, and the reason I was drawn to the item. It was a sepia toned photograph of two young children, a boy and a girl, standing on the beach. The boy had put a shell to the little girl's ear. It brought back memories of my own grandmother doing the same thing for me when I was little. She would place this large conch shell to my ear and say, "Can you hear the ocean?" Oh, I so could hear it. I didn't know until much later than she would blow through a small hole on the other side of the conch. But it was magic and yes, I believed.

I remember the day well that I bought the picture with the saying. I was with a good friend and we were shopping for Christmas presents. This item that caught my eye had nothing to do with Christmas but still, I took hold of it, looked at the picture, read the saying, and quietly put it in my cart. I had no clue then that the words would become so meaningful time and again over the years.

You see, we all have days we feel like our heads are going to explode with the stuff of life. We get overwhelmed and need a break. Downtime. Move into our caves. And when that happens, we have to allow time for the chatter to quiet down....

Listening to your heart, finding out who you are, is not simple. It takes time for the chatter to quiet down. In the silence of "not doing" we begin to know what we feel. If we listen and hear what is being offered, then anything in life can be our guide. Listen.

I don't know who wrote these words or where they came from so I can't give anyone credit. All I know is that I've learned there are times in our lives when we simply have to stop for a while, listen, and pay attention to what we don't hear as much as what we do.

That's what I've been doing lately, letting the chatter quiet down. Those who know me well realize and understand this. They accept and smile and comprehend. They recognize the importance of just being, listening...

Most of all, I understand and know and accept. The next move is up to me.

maddie
Post a Comment