Thursday, May 01, 2008

Shshsh. I'm on Vacation

It's 11:23 a.m. on a Thursday morning and I'm home. Not at my day job office. Not on a plane flying somewhere for work. Shshsh. Don't tell anyone, okay? I'm taking a much needed vacation day today from the day job. Oh yes, much needed. Even my horoscope says as much. Even though I had planned this vacation day far in advance (I wanted a four-day weekend, tomorrow, Friday, is a holiday for our office) the stars confirm my need for time off. See, here is what they wrote this morning for those of us of the Libra persuasion:

May 01, 2008

  1. LibraLibra (9/23-10/22)

    You have been doing too many things on the go lately, and this reckless pace has to stop. Sure, you've been promising yourself for days that you were going to cut back and get some downtime, but when are you going to come through on that promise? Make that day today. Cancel or postpone whatever you can and give yourself a few hours of nothing to do. Being productive or busy is not the same thing as being happy. You need to reconnect with yourself and just chill out.

Chill out. A very good friend said something similar to me this morning in email. Actually, his words were "calm down." Of course, I had ranted about a situation I'm finding myself in and was tossing about all sorts of things I should do, but in the end, "calm down" and "chill out" are probably the best item on the agenda for me today.

After all, I have been on the run lately. I just took a long hard look at my calendar. In the past 24 days, I have slept in my own bed only 9 times and spent 15 nights in hotels. I have taken 16 flights and lived in 4 different time zones. I have been to Denver, Farmington, Detroit, Pittsburgh, Phoenix, Louisville, Greenup, and Bismarck. I have attended two writer conferences.
And that's just April. Would you like to hear March? Nooooo....

Yes, a much deserved and much needed break in the action today. So how has today gone so far?

I slept until nearly 9 a.m. A very unusual thing for me.

I had a cup of tea on my patio. I closed my eyes and listened to the birds for a few minutes, letting the breeze lift my hair and caress away some of the stress.

I started to read the paper and a magazine and put it away for later.

I thought about what I might have for lunch.

I decided to blog. An act that has not happened of late. Wonder why?

Today is for me. I'll probably wander through it. A good thing. I need to just wander though it. I may not even get out of my jammies. I dunno.

One thing I do know is this -- it's hell trying to write and be creative when your brain and body are exhausted. I may ponder just what the heck I'm going to do about all that. I can't have my brain exhausted.

maddie
Post a Comment