Sunday, September 21, 2008

Family Stories, Family Recipes ~ Granny's Fudge Frosting from Donica Covey

This recipe came from my Granny Teen Balentine. She lives in the quiet little town of Big Flat Arkansas. I go there as often as I can, not just for the cake…although I think Granny thinks I do! ~~Donica Covey romance author www.donicacovey.com

My granny is an amazing woman. When I was a kid she and my grandfather had a café in their tiny north central Arkansas town. They live on a farm where grandpa raises cattle and hay. Granny opened the café bright and early every morning—six am—and they didn’t close until around ten or eleven o’clock at night.

People came from all over to eat there. Granny was the cook, waitress, dishwasher and bus person. She never hired help although she did let me work there when I came down for my summer long trips. When I wasn’t messing around with the animals, riding my mare or walking the woods I was in there “helping”.

Granny always keeps her recipes to herself. Very rarely does she share them. (I’m still waiting for the recipe to make her special donuts.) However, when my daddy and I go down she always makes the same cake. A delicious light yellow butter cake with a fudge frosting.

To this day granny makes this in honor of our arrival. I really love it when she makes it after I get there. Then I get to sop the pan. That’s the BEST.

All spring and summer granny’s windows are open and when I arrive as I’m climbing out of the truck the scent of that cake wafts lightly on the warm breeze. There’s nothing better than my granny’s greeting!

Granny’s Fudge Frosting

This recipe is extremely easy. Granny uses a regular butter yellow cake, adds an extra tablespoon of melted butter to the mix than pours into a sheet cake pan. While this bakes she pulls out her fudge fixin’s

3-cups sugar

2/3-cup cocoa

1/8-teaspoon salt

1 and ½-Cups milk

¼ cup-butter

1 teaspoon-vanilla extract

  1. In large heavy saucepan stir together first three ingredients; stir in milk, with a wooden spoon*.
  2. Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until mixture comes to a full rolling boil.
  3. Boil without stirring, to soft ball stage.
  4. Remove from heat. Add butter & vanilla.
  5. Stir *with a wooden spoon until the mixture takes on a glossy appearance. This will take a bit of time and patience. Don’t allow to cool before you finish mixing or the fudge will not set up on your cake properly.
  6. Pour over cooled cake and spread to a nice even coat. Allow to cool until fudge sets up. A couple of hours waiting will be required. (This is the most tempting time!)

*Don’t use whisk, or metal spoons or the chocolate won’t turn out.

Post a Comment