Wednesday, October 01, 2008

Basil, Cabbage, and other Veggies...Oh My!

Subject One: Basil

My cupcakes didn't win. Sigh. It's okay! I had fun creating the recipe, baking the little cakes, and taking their pictures. Fun! I can't wait to do it next month. Thanks to all 14 of you who voted for my Lemon-Basil little dreams. They were pretty, weren't they? And to those of you who visited my blog for the first time. I hope you come back. We have fun here at times. LOL

The next Iron Cupcake Challenge secret ingredient? Cheese!

Oh, what I can do with cheese....


Subject Two: Cabbage

Remember a few blogs ago when I mentioned I met a woman on the plane to Rapid City who told me about her grandmother's red cabbage recipe? Well, I tried it out tonight. Here is what I did.

1 head of red cabbage sliced and chunked
1 stick of butter
A big ol' handful of brown sugar
Salt

I tossed it all in a pan and braised on med-high to high heat for oh...until it looked done. What's done? The lady said it should be "almost caramelized" so that was what I was shooting for. And for some odd reason near the beginning of the cooking process I thought, "I don't have enough butter" so I added some more. No. Don't do that. I ended up ladling a lot of extra butter off.

So, I just kept cooking it down. And more. Watching to make sure it didn't burn with all that sugar. Until...yes...almost caramelized!


And then dished out on the plate it looked like this.

Yum.

I found another Red Cabbage recipe on the Internet that I thought you might like, too. This is from Simply Recipes. http://www.elise.com/

Sweet and Sour Red Cabbage Recipe

1/4 cup (1/2 stick) butter
1 2-pound red cabbage, thinly sliced (about 12 cups)
6 Tbsp sugar
2/3 cup balsamic vinegar

Melt the butter in a large pot over medium heat. Add cabbage and sauté until slightly wilted, about 5 minutes. Add sugar, toss to coat evenly. Add vinegar. Reduce heat to medium-low; cover, simmer until cabbage is tender, stirring often, about 30 minutes. Season to taste with salt and pepper.

Serves 6-8.

Subject Three: Other Veggies

I brought the last 5 green peppers in tonight from my backyard garden. Yay! I'll put them to good use in a day or so. Sad, kinda, that they are the last of my measly produce. Maybe more next year.

Don't for get the October 1 discount code for buying ebooks at Resplendence Publishing!

Oct. 1 - World Veggie Day -
Mmmm

Discount Code: VEGGIE15

http://www.resplendencepublishing.com

Post a Comment