Friday, December 05, 2008

A Pan is a Pan is a Pan?

I don't have a fancy set of cookware... although I covet this one.

Maybe someday, when I have the extra dollars, and when something else isn't taking precedence, I'll splurge and buy it.

It's kind of like, for years, I coveted a Kitchenaid mixer. I'd used a hand mixer forever and still, I think there are times a hand mixer is better. But finally, I broke down one day and bought a Sunbeam.

Now, I know it isn't a Kitchenaid but this one was extremely reasonably priced and I love the Sunbeam. I thought at the time that perhaps it would be my transition mixer until I bought the happily-ever-after mixer. Not so, I think. This baby works fine and dandy and I love it. I doubt I'll wear it out in my lifetime! And I'm happy! Ever. After.

But I was going to talk about pans, right? Yes. I have a mish mash of pots and pans. They've lasted, they've been loyal, they know their jobs. How can I let them go for a new shiny set? Not yet. We're doing just fine on our own.



Take this one, for example.


It's an old Revereware saucepan. It was part of my mother's set. For some reason at the last minute, she gave it to me when I went away to college. She said, "You never know when you'll need a pan." That was 1975. I still have it. I'm not sure how it got bent but it's still great for heating soup.

Then there is this little number.


The preferred egg pan. The PERFECT egg pan. I cook nothing else in this pan but my one (sometimes two when I'm splurging) morning eggs.

I have several "skillets" I use for various purposes. One is not good for much of anything besides grilled cheese. It doesn't heat evenly all the way around but the center is wonderful for browning a nice grilled sandwich. But just one. If you want to make two, forget this pan.

The there is the Farberware soup pot that came with the set my grandmother gave me for my first wedding. It has one handle off but hey, it's mine, and I still love it. Imperfections never bother me! I'm not sure what happened to the rest of the set. I do have a small saucepan but who knows where its sisters ended up. How DO we lose things like that over time?

But the creme de la creme is my new favorite pan. I call her Pink Bling. See?


I found her on the center sale aisle at Macy's. She was a good price and she was PINK. Now, I'm not a pink girl. I'm more of a blue or green or even black girl when it comes to colors. So, I hesitated, but the price was good. It was a nice size, cooking for one most of the time. So, I bought her.

Wow. She cooks like a dream. Cleans up like a dream. Looks like a dream. I'm in love.

But that doesn't mean I don't love my old pots and pans, too. We have history. But Pink Bling, well....

So, what about you? Is a pan is a pan is a pan? Do you have a fancy set and if so, what would you recommend? (just in case I decide to splurge?) Or do you have and prefer a mishmash like mine?
Post a Comment