Thursday, January 01, 2009

Focus

It's January 1. New Year's Day. And I have a confession to make--I didn't watch football. Nor did I watch a parade.

Now, I do love a parade but somewhere during this past year I decided that it was okay that I didn't really like football. That's a mouthful for a girl who grew up in a big Ohio State Football supporter family. But there you have it. I really don't care to waste my time watching football.

Instead, I choose to spend my time in other endeavors, like... oh, writing. Thinking about writing. Promoting my writing. Pondering my writing. Criticizing my writing. Plotting my writing. You get the picture.

My brain just seems to be spinning and sparking the ideas these days. Fiction. Non-fiction. Short. Long. Spicy. Sweet. Let's just hope not dull and boring.

So why is this?

My brain is uncluttered. That's right. I've been off work for several days the past couple of weeks. I've gotten enough sleep. I've not been time-zone hopping. I've finished the current wip. Because I'm rested and the chatter is dying down in my head, ideas are springing forth and there are so many, it's difficult to capture them. And not only ideas, but tasks that need to be done and projects I want to finish.

So, the name of the game the past few days has been this: focus.

Because of all the spinning and sparking, I've forced myself to focus on one thing at a time. So far this week I've stuck with the current novella until I finished it. (yay!) I've revamped the blog. And now I'm reorganizing my office. I won't start the next task until that one is finished.

Focus.

Perhaps, on this January 1--the first day of the new year--that should be my buzzword. Focus. Then perhaps, I can see many of these ideas come to fruition this year.

Happy New Year, everyone.
Post a Comment