Sunday, May 03, 2009

After Derby Soup

It's 8 pm on Sunday evening after the Derby. Do you know where your leftovers are?

I do.

In my soup pot!

Actually, this weekend I hosted two events. One, the annual informal Derby get-together with my kids and grandkids where I just make a lot of snacks and things for munching. The other, my daughter hosted a Silpada Jewelry openhouse this afternoon at my house--which meant she hosted and I did the food prep. That's okay, it was great having them all here.

After everyone left late this afternoon, I took stock of the leftoevers. Knowing that I'm leaving out of here at 4 a.m. tomorrow to catch a flight to New Mexico, and will be gone a week, I contemplated what to do with all the fare staring at me from table and fridge.

Of course, I always have the answer to leftovers--make soup! So that is what I did. I only used one ingredient from the pantry (besides salt and pepper) everything else was a leftover or something that needed to be either used up today or frozen (if possible, some things are just not freezable!)

So here is what went into the soup pot:

First, some olive oil for sauteing leftover vegetables on the veggie tray. Those vegetables consisted of: celery, peppers (red, yellow and green), cucumber, carrots, and a few grape tomatoes. I sauteed those for a little while with salt and pepper, then added about a cup of water to simmer.

Next, a glance into the fridge--some leftover taco meat and onions, left from a layered taco salad the day before. The meet and onions was tossed into the pot.

Next, a 32 oz can of petite diced tomatoes followed by about two cans of water. Bring all to a boil, simmer. Add salt and pepper to taste, if necessary.

Next, there were about 4 cups of leftover Sun-dried Tomato Pasta Salad left. Dare I toss that into the mix? Of course. I waited a bit until the vegetables were tender and blended with the tomatoes, the added to the soup.

Finally, I noticed a half bag of baby spinach. Knowing that would not last until next Saturday, I tossed that in last and simmered.

All I can say is, Yum. It worked. And now, instead of tossing all of those leftover ingredients, I have a pot of wonderful soup that I'll freeze in several smaller containers for future lunches.

I love when I make something out of nothing. (smile!)
Post a Comment