Saturday, May 02, 2009

Derby Party Recipes, Installment #1

So, last night and early this morning I was able to do a little pre-prep. Here are two tried and true standbys that the kids will gobble up and love.

Hot Artichoke Dip and those famous meatballs that everyone makes.

First, let's talk about the dip. The recipe is oh, so simple.

1 reg. can of artichoke hearts, chopped
1 cup of Miracle Whip (I use light)
1 cup of Parmesan cheese

That's the standard recipe. I also add, 1/2 t. of red pepper flakes, I clove of garlic, minced, 1/4 t. each of black pepper and paprika.

Bake at 400F for about 20 minutes or until hot and bubbly. I made mine last night, so I'll reheat to hot and bubbly before serving.

For the meatballs, I start with a 2 lb pkg of frozen meatballs. I could only find Italian yesterday so it will do. Teriyaki work well, too. Pop the meatballs into a cold crockpot. Add one 12 oz jar of Heinz Chili Sauce and an equal part of grape jelly. My secret ingredient is to also shake in a few dashes of Liquid Smoke. Let these babies cook on high for a couple of hours, turn down to low and let simmer until serving time. Sometimes I add more meatballs to the sauce the next day. (and I'm also hosting a jewelry parting tomorrow with my daughter, so that is likely what I will do!) If I need more sauce, a little more grape jelly, ketchup, chili pepper, Liquid Smoke, etc., and you're set!

The next recipe, Sun Dried Tomato Pasta Salad, will be posted in a while on SisterWriters. Come see!
Post a Comment