Friday, May 01, 2009

It's Kentucky, it's the Derby, it's a hat!

I frequently travel around Kentucky Derby time. Often I'm heading back home to Louisville a couple of days before the first Saturday in May. I did just that yesterday.

The first leg of my trip from Rapid City, South Dakota to Minneapolis was lacking in Derby flair; however, as I neared my gate in Minneapolis, I already felt like I was home. Why? Because of the hats and hatboxes!

Whether they were first time Derby goers, or a regular Derby party-er, they all had smiles on their faces and were excited to be heading to Louisville.

I was simply excited to be heading home.

I'm off work today, being that it's Kentucky Oaks Day and the fillies are running, and that the organization I work for claims Oaks Day as an official holiday. I'll be cleaning and preparing some food for tomorrow, when my family will come in to watch the race and eat. It's a semi-tradition and we have a lot of fun. So, cooking is on my agenda for this afternoon. I'll share more about that later today or tomorrow.

But back to the hats. Here's a snippet of what I observed en route yesterday.

Hats in line...

Hats perched on luggage...

And more hats perched on luggage...

Happy hat owners waiting!

Some hat owners simply wearing...

...and happy to be heading to Louisville!

Hats shoved up...

...and under.


And of course, my favorite part... the Derby gals giving away Bourbon ball candy once we land in Louisville! Yum...

For more on the Kentucky Derby and Oaks day...or on hats, please come by and visit the SisterWriters Blog this week, and also stay tuned here! I may shoot some recipes this way later today and tomorrow. :)
Post a Comment