Sunday, July 19, 2009

Beate Boeker romance novels: No clinging heroines allowed!

When I interview authors, I like to peruse their Web sites to find out a little more information about them personally, rather than rely only on what they share in their interview.

Reading through Beate Boeker's Web site was like being introduced to your next best friend. Her writing style is friendly, straight forward, and laced with a smattering of dry humor.

I'm heading to the library to check out her books. Right now. Really!

A well-traveled and educated mom, international business woman, and ex- antique re-worker/quilter/golfer, her interests are many. Writing, it's easy to see, is her passion.

I also found it interesting that English is not her first language, although she chose to write her romance novels in English. You can read more about that, here.

Welcome, Beate!

Maddie: Beate, it's great to have you here. Tell us a little about yourself.

Beate: I started writing in 2005. With the help of a book editor (Elizabeth Lyon) I managed to overcome the obstacles every beginner faces. My obstacles were a bit higher than normal because I am German and writing from Germany. I decided to write in English because I found a lot more help in the US market (see my website for full details).

Maddie: Congratulations on your success! How many books do you have in print now?

Beate: I have two books in print. Wings to Fly (it came out in Aug. 2009) and Take My Place (which was officially released this month! April 2009). It depends on my mood which one I prefer. Wings to Fly is funnier, but Take My Place has more dramatic tension.

Maddie: What do you love about your publisher?

Beate:
I love the tasteful and color-intensive covers of Avalon Books. It's easy to be proud of such a gorgeous hardback -- and it makes a great gift too!

Maddie: What does your writing schedule look like? Are you a morning writer? A night owl?

Beate:
I'm a patchwork-writer. I write whenever I have time. At night, when I wake up and can't fall asleep again. In the evening, when all the work for the day is done. At the weekend, off and on. In the early mornings, I organize the basics -- reply to mails, check blogs, etc.

Maddie: Do you have a writer’s cave?

Beate:
My "cave" is a tiny desk in one corner of the living room which has direct access to the garden. My husband (who's a programmer) has his desk behind me, and when I write, I hear him clicking away too.

Maddie: What about a day job? How do you balance the two?

Beate:
I do have a day job -- I'm a European Product Manager at a company that produces high-quality fountain pens -- now doesn't that fit well to my job as a writer? :-)

Maddie
: What advice do you have for aspiring writers?

Beate:
Never, never, never give up.

Maddie: What's next on the horizon for Baete?

Beate:
I'm working on a mystery with a strong romantic subplot.

Maddie: Oh! I love mysteries. I am looking forward to that one. What about quirky writing rituals? Like special music, times of the day, food, etc?

Beate:
I write with my keyboard on my legs, laid back in a comfortable armchair. My legs are on a footstool, made comfortable by two fat cushions. It doesn't like like working -- but it's how I love to write!

Maddie: Today, writers need not only write great books, but be great promoters of their books, too. What kinds of things do you do?

Beate:
I blog once a month together with some other authors from Avalon Books, I send out a newsletter to friends whenever I have news to share (send me your e-mail address if you wish to receive it too!), and most important of all, I have a Web site which I update regularly.

Maddie: Now, here is the totally off-writing subject question. What’s the coolest, wackiest, most risk-taking thing you’ve ever done?

Beate:
The most risk-taking thing I have ever done was the decision to become pregnant. I had never started on an adventure with an outcome I couldn't control at all. Guess what? I was right. But it was worth it.

Maddie: What else would you like to tell us?

Beate: I only realized a few years ago that my name translates into Happy Books (if you mix Latin and a German dialect). I thought that was a hint from destiny I couldn't overlook!

For more info: Please visit Beate at her Web site.

Some other author interviews you may be interested in reading:

Gerrie Ferris

Margaret Carroll

Jan Scarbrough

Post a Comment