Monday, July 13, 2009

Writing and teaching

I'm a writer. It's a strength I possess and what I am passionate about. I love stringing words together to both inform and entertain. It's who I am.

I'm also a teacher. Again, I like to think that it is a strength. I suppose that writing and teaching go hand in hand, for to be a good teacher, in my opinion, you have to strike that balance between informing and entertaining. To take it one step further, you also have to incite in the learner (and reader) that passion for more.

That, also, is who I am.

For many, many years I taught children. That's not who I am today. All of those years of working with children, however, have prepared me for being the "teacher" that I am today. I no longer have the passion for the classroom. I teach, instead, in other ways. And I like to think that my teaching is more like mentoring, actually, than teaching.

I choose to give back. It might not be in a huge way. It could be on an individual basis. In fact, that is the way I prefer it. Small and quiet, and in ways that mean something to the person on the receiving end. In turn, it makes me smile and feel good about myself.

I also think my "teaching" happens via my writing. All these years I tried so hard to keep my writing separate from my "teaching." And all this time, I realize now, they go hand-in-hand.

But perhaps I was not supposed to realize that until now. Life has an interesting way of revealing these kinds of things when we are ready to receive. Right?

My writing journey is still unfolding. It's a path that has wound in and out of my life over the years. I look forward to where it will take me.
Post a Comment