Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Deer Be Gone!

See these?

I brought them in this evening from my small suburban, backyard garden. Yesterday, these two green tomatoes had about a dozen siblings hanging around on the tomato vines with them. Tonight, no siblings. Gone.

This is not the first time tomatoes have vanished. I had two large ones on the vine a few days before the 4th of July. I was going to visit my parents for a couple of days and figured by the time I got back, those two would be very near ripe. So I came home, meandered into my backyard, looked at my garden and...

No tomatoes, green or ripe. What?

I glanced around. Which of my neighbors...? No. I couldn't imagine that any of them would swipe my tomatoes. Then I stepped away from the garden and onto a half eaten tomato in the yard. Half-eaten. With teeth marks.

A deer? Raccoon? I suspect a deer because lately I'd noticed the tops of my hosta flowers broken off, too. And, a green pepper plant that had obviously been chopped.

So, now, here I am, with two lonely green tomatoes in my kitchen. I guess I'll fry them up tomorrow evening for dinner. I can only assume that their siblings were lunch today (or a midnight snack) for a deer family.

Sigh...


Wait! No! No no no no noooooooo.... Calliope, get away from those tomatoes!
Post a Comment