Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Gail Pallotta writes Christian romance with a hint of mystery




Gail Pallotta, Awe-Struck E-Books
Author Gail Pallotta published her first book, Now Is The Time, a Christian novel, in 2004. The year it was released, The American Christian Writers Association named her a regional Writer of the Year. Now, she brings to us Love Turns the Tide, "an unlikely romance that begins in the spring when the sunshine sparkles on the sand in Destin, Florida, and the moonlight dances across a tranquil, emerald sea."

Goddess Minx at Literary Nymphs Review gave Love Turns the Tide four nymphs, saying, "This is quite a surprisingly different type of story with a Christian aspect, and I want to express my appreciation to Gail Pallotta for creating such a fabulous book. Love Turns the Tide is a heartfelt story for me, and the Bible verses added a nice spiritual connection.

I'm pleased to interview Gail for Examiner. Gail, tell us a little about yourself.

First, I’d like to say thank you for the opportunity to spend time with you and your readers. I live in Georgia with Rick, my husband of thirty-seven years. When I’m not writing, I enjoy swimming, reading, and getting together with friends and family. My daughter and I are bargain shoppers. We like to spend an afternoon in a discount store trying on shorts, blouses, skirts, pants and dresses. Then, we end up getting maybe one item. But that gives us something to look forward to, because we have to plan another shopping trip to find something to match it. When I’m by myself in quest of an article of clothing I need, it isn’t the same. I go in the store, find it, buy it and leave. But she and I have such fun. Sometimes we try on something that is so wrong for us we spend five minutes laughing at how we look in it. When we find the perfect skirt, shirt or pants, we’re so pleased.

You have a new book out. We’d love to hear about it.

Yes, I have out an inspirational romance, Love Turns the Tide. The main character, Cammie O’Shea has a heartbreaking split-up with her fiancĂ© and moves to Destin, Florida, to take a new job. Already stressed, she dreads meeting her new boss, the editor of The Sun Dial newspaper. But, her real source of angst turns out to be Vic Deleona, the influential real estate tycoon she must write about to generate interest in the paper. While she refuses to open herself to another painful relationship he attempts to court her. Seeing him as pompous, she nonetheless goes out of her way to maintain a good business association. However, when her friend, Angie Jones, has a break-in at her condo and there’s a mysterious vandalism at Cammie’s unit, Vic comes to their rescue and tries to win Cammie’s heart.

Let’s talk about your writing process. Are you a plotter or a pantzer?

I’d say I’m a loose plotter. The pantzer in me will not hesitate to deviate from the plot if I find something in research I think will enhance the book. Also, as the story takes form scenes or chapters I hadn’t thought of come to mind.

What are some techniques you use to get to know your characters?

That’s an interesting question. First, I make notes describing their physical features, what they like to eat, what they like to wear, and what type activities they enjoy. Then, I write a little about them before I start the book.

In three words or less, how would you describe your style of writing?

Literary, Christian, inspirational.

What does your writing schedule look like? Are you a morning writer? A night owl?

I prefer to write in the mornings, but there are times when I have to postpone it until the afternoon or evening, because life doesn’t always cooperate with my plan. I try to balance my time to meet the needs of family, church, community and myself, so each week is different. But, I’m happy and content that I can find the hours.

Do you have a day job? How do you balance the two?

I have a day job, sort of. For most of our married life my husband has run a business out of our house. Years ago I quit my nine-to-five job to become his assistant. But, he’s semi-retired now, so I get more time with my computer.

What advice do you have for aspiring writers?

Be persistent and try not to let rejections disappoint you. The reasons for them aren’t always one’s writing. Since articles, stories and books reflect changes in our lifestyle, timing can affect an acceptance. Sometimes when editors move from a magazine or a publishing house, they alter their guidelines and the looks of their publications. However, if we keep listening to the voice within and examining things that never change, such as human nature, the presence of good and evil, rain, storms, and the sun rising in the east and setting in the west, we have a chance of discovering something true about life. If we can write about the truth we’ve found so that someone else can see it, understand it better, appreciate it more, or find it more meaningful our persistence will pay off.

What is your next project?
I have started the sequel to Love Turns the Tide. I had been thinking about it for several months, but had done nothing about it. One day I sat down at the computer to write a blog and began the new book instead.

If you could interview any of the characters in your books, which one would it be, and why? What shocking thing might that character say?

I would interview Cammie O’Shea right after she moves to Destin, Florida, because she’s the main character in Love Turns the Tide. She would say that she needs God now more than ever and for some reason she doesn’t understand she feels more estranged from him than she ever has. She’d say she’s like the Israelites, when they wandered in the dessert grumbling that they at least had had food, when they were slaves in Egypt. After being deceived by her fiancĂ© and leaving her friends and family simultaneously, she’s in a type of wilderness created by separation from loved ones. She, like the Israelites, has no one but God to turn to. She would explain that being in this emotional wasteland is like being in a jungle with a forest too dense to let in a ray of sunshine and underbrush so thick one couldn’t walk through it even if there was a visible way out. She’d tell how easily she strolled into it. One day life was humming along; the next, the dark curtain fell. But she’d end the interview by reminding me that God sent the Israelites manna. Then, she’d say she’s still hanging onto her faith.

Now, here is the totally off-writing subject question. What’s the coolest, wackiest, most risk-taking thing you’ve ever done?

I’d like to say I wrestled an alligator or something really daring, but I didn’t. However, I grew up in a small town, went off to college and met a friend who had an airplane with a loud speaker. One summer morning he flew to my hometown, circled the community and called me on the loud speaker. He asked me to come to the airport, meet him and fly to Myrtle Beach, South Carolina, for the day. Since I had no way to contact him, he kept repeating the message, saying he would land soon and wait for me. The phone started ringing. No sooner did my mother answer it, speak to the caller and hang up than it rang again. Everyone wanted to make sure I’d heard him and asked if I was going. My father took me to the small, nearby airport, and I went. We had a great day in Myrtle Beach!

Gail, thank you so much for your time. Before we leave, I'd like to share the blurb and the lovely book trailer for Love Turns the Tide.

Twenty-six-year-old Cammie O'Shea simultaneously suffers through a broken engagement and starts a new job in Destin, Florida. Heartbroken, she wants to avoid new relationships while Vic Deleona, the real estate tycoon she interviews for The Sun Dial newspaper, tries to court her. When he makes extra business appointments, she resents having to spend so much time with him. But after a break-in at her friend's condo and her unit, Vic comes to their rescue. When he tries to solve the mystery, Cammie gets to know him better. He even takes her to church. But, she has an offer to return home. Will Vic catch the criminal and win Cammie's heart or will she leave Destin?

To find out read Love Turns the Tide, available from Awe-Struck E-Books at www.awe-struck.net

Gail's Web site is www.gailpallotta.com and her blog, Peering through Life's Window, is www.gailpallotta.blogspot.com/


Post a Comment