Friday, January 01, 2010

It's January 1, and the charts are back...


It's January 1, 2010. A new year, resolutions, goals, and so on. It's a fresh start. We all do it, we all say it. After the first of the year I'll start eating better, starting walking more, join the Y, clean out that closet and purge the junk. After the first of the year, I'll get my writing career on track. I'm as guilty of saying those words as anyone. Possibility more guilty than most.

But today is a reality check. It's January 1 and I have resigned my day job, effective Feb. 1. I've spent 10 years with the organization and I'm grateful for the experiences and opportunities I was provided while there. In fact, I'll still be doing some contract work for them, which is a good thing. I don't want to severe the relationship completely, but I do want to rid my life of being totally consumed by the job.

Because, you see, I have this dream, this goal, to support myself as a writer. I've had it for, oh, probably 25 years or more. That's a long time to harbor a dream and the truth is, I can't wait another 25 for it to just "happen."


So, that's why the charts are back. See them? I'm great on planning, plotting, making lists, crossing things off, charting the pros and cons, making a ven diagram. Last summer, when I was considering how I could make this move, I started making these charts. I lined them up down my entryway and kept them up for weeks. I'd look at them, add things, draw on them, ponder... Then I'd walk away and think, and go back again later and do it all over again. Eventually, in early fall, I put them away.

Yesterday I dragged them out again. It was interesting to see what I'd written a few months ago, what I had accomplished already but hadn't crossed off the list, and what things I still need to do.

But it was very different looking at those charts this time because it wasn't just a dream now. It was reality. It's a done deal. I quit my job. I have a mortgage. I like to eat. I have two cats to support. I have to make a living with my writing. Have to.

To be honest, and as the charts will attest, I've been scheming toward this end for a long time, so no worries that this was a snap decision. It truly has been, and will continue to be, a work in progress.

Sort of like this blog. I've been blogging since 2006. I've long, hard runs of daily blogs, and a number of dry spells. I've switched from blogging about writing romance, to blogging about life in general. As part of my writing career plan, I will continue this blog and I WILL be more consistent.


The theme? The same, with a slightly different bent. Life, Unedited... and Reinvented. Because truly, that is what I am doing. I am reinventing myself. I've stepped out of my comfort zone. I no longer will get a regular paycheck. I now have to buy my own insurance. I am the boss of me and I like that a whole heckuva lot!

There are a number of changes in focus I am making in my writing and in my personal life. I'll still, and will always, write romance and erotica. I'll be excited to share with you, however, some of my newer projects as they come about in the coming months. Like I said, a work in progress.

I hope you will join me on this journey to be the boss of me. I'd love some company along the way!
Post a Comment