Saturday, January 09, 2010

It's a soup day: Turkey Noodle!


Baby, it's cold outside.

And when it's cold outside there is nothin' better than soup. Wait. I'll one-up that. There is nothing better than having all the ingredients for soup in your pantry so you can make homemade soup.

I hate wasting food, even leftovers, and usually find ways to use up all those bits of this and pieces of that. That's what I did this morning when I made Turkey Noodle Soup.

So, here is what I found in my pantry and here is how I made my soup!

1/2 pkg of celery hearts
1 small onion
olive oil
butter
1 32 oz carton of chicken stock
4 cups of water
1-2 cups of chopped up turkey (mine was frozen and left over from Thanksgiving)
1/2 of a 16 oz pkg of egg noodles (leftover from...something)
1 can of peas
Salt and pepper to taste
Other spices added: Thyme, poultry seasoning, garlic powder (probably a couple of healthy dashes of each, or more)

Chop celery and onion. Saute in bottom of large stock pot in1/2 stick of melted butter and a round or two of olive oil in the pan. Saute until onions turn translucent.

Add chicken stock and water. Bring to a boil and turn down to simmer. Add turkey and let sit at a high simmer for about 5 minutes. Add egg noodles and spices, salt and pepper to taste. Bring back to a high simmer until noodles are tender. Add drained can of peas near the end of cooking.

A quick soup that came from stuff all ready to go in my pantry. Love it!

Now, if only I didn't have to go outside to pick up a prescription I forgot to pick up last night. But, oh well, I know what's waiting for me when I get back! Yummers.

After that, I'm putting the finishing touches on my latest project, Family Stories, Family Recipes cookbook. Guess I better get moving!

Until the 'morrow...
Post a Comment