Sunday, September 26, 2010

There are days life is just tough...

Today is one of those days. Even though I am here alone in my house, I can feel the sadness of my family across the miles--from Germany to Ohio to Missouri to Arkansas and here in Kentucky.

Today is my nephew's birthday. Today, he would have been 20 years old but some turns of life took him from this life back in March. Rhett was funny and sly and quick as a cricket when he was young. He could look at you with those big puppy-dog eyes and your heart would melt. He would sit and listen to adults for hours, and give you every single bit of his attention. He could hug you and you'd feel it to your toes. He could make you laugh like you had not a single care in the world.

I don't see my nieces and nephews and my family often enough. We are all scattered. But the love and support for all of our family pours out in a lot of ways. Today, as I passed through Rhett's Facebook page, and read all of the happy birthday wishes from his friends and family, it still feels like he is with us.

Interesting that a Facebook page still lives, long after someone has passed, but I'm glad it's there for all of us to talk to him. I don't think anyone would have planned it that way, but it's kind of nice to feel like there is still that small connection.

He is here, I'm sure. He's watching over us and helping us through our daily grind. I like to think of him sitting up in Heaven shooting the breeze with my Grandpa. I can see them perfectly clear. And it's a very nice sight to see, if only in my head.

Still, we mourn. It's too new still, even though it's been a few months.

Rhett would say to me sometimes that he wanted to be a writer. Who knows where his life might have taken him had Diabetes not interfered. Maybe while he's spinning yarns with Grandpa, he'll take a few minutes to write his stories down.

Love you, Rhett. Happy Birthday, Bud. I sure do miss you.
Post a Comment