Saturday, April 02, 2011

Making Time for Reading?

Everyone once in a while I lament the fact that I'm not taking the time to simply get lost in a book. I mean, really get lost in it. You know, one of those days when you cuddle up with your favorite afghan on the sofa, donned in your comfiest clothes that you wouldn't be seen out in public wearing, and without a care in the world, do nothing all day long but read

Sometimes I think that as writers, we don't allow ourselves this privilege when in fact, it might be the best thing ever for our writing. I know there are a lot of days when I think, "I just can't sit at this computer another minute." Or, my head is so full of story line and plot, that I can't think of anything else...and maybe, just maybe, I'm going a little stale.

This is when my brain needs a break. A good, long, deep read often is just the trick. Not my story, but someone else's story. Sometimes a movie will do the trick in a pinch, too.

Last week I started a Tami Hoag thriller and even though my brain has flashed back to the story several times, I've not gone back to pick up the book. Why? Too busy--in my head, anyway. Today I will find time. Tomorrow I'm also going with my friend, Jan, to see Jane Eyre. I'm looking forward to it.

So, get your story fix, okay? Make time for it. We all really need to do it!

I'd love to know what you are reading now, and what book you've allowed yourself to get lost in lately. Please share! And if you do decide to comment, tomorrow I'll pick a random commenter to receive a digital copy of any of my ebooks. Tell me, what are you reading?
Post a Comment