Thursday, January 21, 2016

Evolution of a Book Cover - Entranced by Maddie James - #ThrowbackThursday

Books and their covers can go through quite an evolution, especially in this new wave of self-publishing. I have a number of books that have gone through various stages of publication and revision, and re-publication--and plan to share those with you over the coming weeks during my #ThrowbackThursday posts. I also hope to share other author's posts about their backlist books on Thursdays.

Today, I want to share with you the evolution to my book currently titled Entranced, which is book one in my Soul Mates Time Travel Trilogy.

In 1999 the book was published by a long gone and now forgotten ebook company that produced its books only on CD. The title of the book then, was Night Kiss, and written under my then married name. See the beautiful, original artwork at left that was used for the cover. Sad to say that the author copy CDs I received in the mail lasted longer than the company, and soon the rights reverted and the book lay fallow in my computer for a number of years. I thought it was dead in the water.

Then, in 2007, a new ebook publisher emerged and showed interest in the book. I shared that I also had proposals written for books 2 and 3 – were they interested in those as well? Resplendence Publishing published the revised first book, now retitled, The Curse, followed by the rest of the trilogy, The Cult, and The Quest. This cover had a vastly different look, focusing more on the time travel element, than the romance.

Several years passed and I toyed with the plots of books four and five, but never seemed to be able to get those written. The trilogy sold “okay” but could have sold better. I was so new at this new ebook game, I wasn’t quite sure how to market them. In addition, I was under multiple contracts and it seemed I could never get back to devoting time to write the fourth and fifth books.

Then, in 2010, I opened my own small publishing house (which unfortunately closed in 2015). Over time, I pulled all of my books from other publishers into my own house. I knew I wanted to hit this series again, but it had been so long since I had worked on them. Did I still have it in me to tackle the time travel series? I did. Night Kiss/The Curse, underwent extensive revisions, with the first third of the book heavily revised, and with new content added. Now titled, Entranced, I rebranded and revised the entire trilogy, and yes, books 4 and 5 are definitely slated to release in 2016/17!

Watch for news for the release of Wanderlust this spring.




Post a Comment