Wednesday, January 20, 2016

#WriterWednesday with Maddie James -- Procrastination

procrastinate
verb pro·cras·ti·nate \prə-ˈkras-tə-ˌnāt, prō-\

 : to be slow or late about doing something that should be done
 : to delay doing something until a later time because you do not want to do it, etc.  (from Merriam-Webster)

All those writers who suffer from this, please raise your hand. Now. C'mon. You too, right? And yes, I'm adding my hand to the mix.

I procrastinate. I think sometimes we writers call this "writer's block." I actually think they are one-and-the-same thing. I can't say that I've ever, truly, suffered from writer's block. What I do suffer from is putting the writing off. Finding something else to do before the writing.

Checking my sales numbers.
Reading a few blog posts.
Tweeting.
Reading my Facebook feed like it's the morning paper.

Laundry.
Dishes.
Swiffering the dog hair up from the floor.

Walking said dog.

Procrastination. Not writer's block. Just putting it off.

I suppose the real question is why. Why do I do that? Oh, I'm waiting for a clean block of time, no distractions or interruptions. Waiting for the mail to come, then I'll get started. Waiting for the dog to stop barking. Waiting for the coffee to finish percolating. Waiting until inspiration strikes.

What?
Whoa.
No.

Inspiration should always be striking. Right? I'm a writer. It's what I do. I need to quit blogging and get at it. Right?

Whew.

Okay. Here I go. What keeps you from writing? Do you procrastinate or do you really suffer from writer's block? I'd love to hear your take on this subject. Comments welcome!
Post a Comment